New Orleans Estate Succession Attorney
Experienced Guidance for Probate in Louisiana – (504) 502-7316
A succession (as it’s referred to in Louisiana) is essentially the same thing other states refer to as probate. Basically it is a series of steps used to settle a person’s affairs after his or her death. While that sounds simple enough, there are different types of succession proceedings, and the rules and required procedures for each aren’t always written or explained in plain English. Unfortunately, the confusion this creates often leads to costly mistakes.
If you’ve been given the responsibility of settling a loved one’s or family member’s estate in Louisiana and feel like you need a little help or a lot of guidance, contact the New Orleans office of Scott, Vicknair, Hair & Checki, LLC at (504) 502-7316 today.
Our lawyers also help clients achieve various estate planning goals using asset protection strategies, wills, advance directives, powers of attorney, revocable living trusts, irrevocable trusts, and other legal tools.
Succession Lawyers Dedicated to Your Peace of Mind
Our firm offers assistance with contested and uncontested testate (with a will) and intestate (without a will) succession proceedings of every type.
Our New Orleans probate and succession lawyers take on cases including:
- Simple possession can be opened and closed in the same day, provided that there are no creditors requesting administration, no estate taxes are due, and all of the legatees and heirs accept the succession unconditionally.
- Small succession is a relatively simple process that can be used when the gross value of a decedent’s property and other assets doesn’t exceed $75,000 at the time of death.
- Full succession involves court administration, the appointment of a succession representative (executor), and is typically required whenever there are unresolved questions, claims or disputes related to the solvency of the state, the validity of the decedent’s will, or other matters.
- Ancillary succession is a court proceeding required whenever a non-Louisiana resident would receive title or an interest in an immovable asset (e.g., real property, oil and gas rights) located in Louisiana.
Our goals with each succession are simple: minimize the stress for our clients and correctly complete the process as efficiently as possible. We’ll answer any questions you have; make sure you understand the type of succession required, if any; and explain each step of the process. We’ll also take care of as much or as little of the actual work involved as you would like.
Contested Successions & Estate Litigation in New Orleans
Do you have doubt about the validity of a last will and testament? Are you concerned that a trust or succession proceeding has been mishandled? Is a disinherited family member threatening to challenge a will that you believe is valid? Have your actions as a succession representative, trustee, or curator (guardian) been question in a lawsuit?
Our attorneys can effectively protect your rights and interests, however complicated the family dynamics, however sizeable the estate sizable, and regardless of whether you’re seeking to bring a claim, preserve the status quo, or defend yourself.
Our New Orleans estate litigation attorneys handle cases including:
- Intestate Succession Disputes
- Will Contests
- Trust Disputes
- Interdiction Litigation
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty or Fraud Claims, against succession representatives (executors), trustee, curators, and others
Schedule a free initial consultation with us today by call (504) 502-7316 or emailing us today.