Keegan E. Chopin is an experienced, dynamic commercial lawyer who has spent the last 20 years focused on providing her clients pragmatic solutions. Licensed to practice law in Louisiana and Texas, Keegan has a diverse practice representing a broad spectrum of clients including individuals and business both large and small. Keegan has a wide range of experience including personal injury litigation, commercial and construction litigation, corporate and business law, and general counsel services.
Early in her career, Keegan clerked for the late Honorable Sheldon J. Fernandez in the 24th JDC in Gretna, Louisiana. As an insurance defense and commercial litigation associate, Keegan tried multiple jury trials. In 2002, Keegan moved to Houston, Texas, where she spent 15 years as in-house counsel to some of the world’s largest oilfield services providers. During this time some of Keegan’s key accomplishments included:
• defending her client against a United States Coast Guard investigation into the grounding of Shell’s arctic drilling rig, KULLUK
• investigating a global competitor for theft of intellectual property and corporate raiding in the United States, United Kingdom, Norway, Singapore, Dubai, Mexico and Brazil
• conducting multiple investigations into allegations of improper payments to government officials in high risk countries
• travelling around the world representing clients in multi-million-dollar contract negotiations
• training lawyers and lay people on such topics as navigating U.S. litigation, contract reviews, conducting internal investigations, and the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
A native New Orleanian, Keegan returned home in 2016, and spent 2 years in-house with Ochsner Health System providing a variety of general corporate legal counsel and transactional support.
Keegan is actively involved in the alumnae associations of all three of her alma maters, Loyola University College of Law (1999), University of Dallas (1996), and the Academy of the Sacred Heart (1992). A mom of 2 young boys, Keegan is often found volunteering at her children’s school, Holy Name of Jesus.